Sound Before Symbol
Devloping Literacy theough Music
by Maria Kay
This book demonstrates how musical activities can support the development of literacy skills for young children aged from birth to 8 years. The relationship between music and literacy is investigated, and through a wealth of ideas and resources, guidance is given on how to use music as a practical tool to develop skills vital to literacy. As music is naturally inclusive, the activities are suitable for all children.
Each chapter includes activities to explore, and the book covers:
- the myriad of skills which may be elicited through music making
- the importance of sound discrimination to literacy
- the links between how the brain processes both music and language
- how to develop literacy skills through musical activities
- ideas to support teaching literacy through phonics
Written for teachers, practitioners, teaching assistants and childminders, as well as for anyone working with children in nursery and primary schools, children′s centres and at home, this book provides a wealth of information. It is an invaluable resource to support the development of children′s literacy skills in an enjoyable and effective way.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Equilibrium users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.