Speak, Move, Play and Learn with Children on the Autism Spectrum
by Jean Brady et al
Activities to Boost Communication Skills, Sensory Integration and Coordination Using Simple Ideas from Speech and Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy
This practical resource is brimming with ideas and guidance for using simple ideas from speech and language pathology and occupational therapy to boost communication, sensory integration, and coordination skills in children on the autism spectrum.
Suitable for use in the classroom, at home, and in community settings, it is packed with easy-to-follow, goal-oriented activities and lesson plans centering around arts and crafts, music-making, cookery, sensory activities, and skills for daily living.
The activities all use materials and objects which are readily available in the home or classroom, and can easily be adapted to suit children of different abilities, including those who are non-verbal.
This book is perfect for teachers, speech and language pathologists, and occupational therapists who need fresh and effective activity ideas for the classroom or therapy room, as well as for parents and other caregivers who want to help their child on the autism spectrum to speak, move, play...and learn!
Introduction: How to Use This Book. Helpful Icons in this Book. Best Practices and Strategies that Help Guarantee Success. What is SPOT. Why it Works. How it Works. Who Should SPOT. Where To Spot.
1. Social Pragmatic Skills.
2. Assistive Technology.
3. Sensory Integration. 3.1. What is it?. 3.2. The Tactile System. 3.3. The Proprioceptive System. 3.4. The Vestibular System. 3.5. The Auditory System. 3.6. The Visual System.
4. "The Store" Augmentative Communication That Works. 4.1. Best Practices for The Store. 4.2. Activities 1-7.
5. Simply Sensory. 5.1. What's in the Bag. 5.2. Oral Motor Fun. 5.3. Scent Sense. 5.4. Stretch For Comfort. 5.5. Spring Seed. 5.6. Watcha Got?. 5.7. Noodle Dot to Dot. 5.8. Apple Card. 5.9. Beanie Shapes. 5.10. Smell That?.
6. Shake It!. 6.1. Shake Your Butter. 6.2. Shake Your Ice Cream. 6.3. Shake Your Pudding Paint (edible). 6.4. Shake Your Salad. 6.5. Shake Your Trail Mix. 6.6. Shake Your Morning Eggs.
7. Cooking. 7.1. Taco Treat. 7.2. PBJ Sandwich Shapes. 7.3. Lotsa Pasta. 7.4. French Toast Fingers and a Thumb. 7.5. English Muffin Pizza. 7.6. Fun Shape Pancakes. 7.7. Salsa Snack. 7.8. Tres Leches Cake - Three Milks Cake.
8. Artistry. 8.1. Safari Search. 8.2. Cheerios (revised version). 8.3. Fuzzy Sheep. 8.4. Noodle Painting. 8.5. Chinese Dragon or Nordic Water Serpent. 8.6. Paper "Me" Dolls. 8.7. What Am I? Collage.
9. Activities of Daily Living (ADL). 9.1. Hair Flair. 9.2. On Your Marks, Get Set, Get Dressed!. 9.3. Shoes and Socks. 9.4. Sock Ball Pitch.
10. The Miracle of Music. 10.1. The Tambourine. 10.2. The Flute. 10.3. The Drum. 10.4. The Box Guitar. 10.5. The Castanets. 10.6. The Ghungroos. 10.7. The Oboe. 10.8. The Me Band.
11. Success Stories.
12. References and Suggested Readings.
Lois Jean Brady is a Speech Language Pathologist with 20 years' experience. She is currently working as a Speech Pathologist and Assistive Technology Specialist at the Spectrum Center School, California. She is the founder of Rancho La Paz, a non-profit organization for individuals on the spectrum.
America X. Gonzalez is a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant working in several institutions in the San Francisco Bay Area. She has an Associate Teacher degree and a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. She lives in Benicia, California.
Maciej Zawadzki is an Occupational Therapist working at the Spectrum Center.
Corinda Presley is an Occupational Therapist at the Communication Works Center in Oakland, California. She has worked with children with autism and developmental delays since 2002. She has a special interest in integration and processing and is completing her certification for The Sensory Integration and Praxis Test (SIPT).
Author: Brady et al. Pub 2012 USA Pb large format 174 pages
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Equilibrium users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.